Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Workbench TLC

Well this is a project that I've been able to put off for a long time.  My bench vice (and in fact whole work bench top) is in rough shape and in need of a little TLC.
The dog hole is cracked (too much pressure!)

I finally managed to crack the dog hole open by using too much force, which is what happens when you use it as a clamp rather than just a work-hold.  Happens.  When I found a chunk of wood that was the perfect size and I had already jointed 2 edges, I knew it was time to do it.  This should take no more than an hour (so 2 hours).

First step is to double check that the board is still flat and square since its sat around for a couple of years.  I'm in luck, all good.

Double check for flat and square

Just a few bolts to remove and it comes apart easily.  Well almost, but nothing a hammer didn't solve pronto (more on the "hammer" later, grrr).


Making it S4S the easy way on the planer...

Plane remaining edge

Plane face, now its S4S
Another time saver, the old facing makes a perfect template for positioning the holes.


I couldn't find a drill bit extender, so that goes on my home center list.  But for now, I drilled the dog holes as deep as the forstner bit could reach.


All Done


OK, all done and within two hours, that included a half hour of shop clean up.  What?  No "after" picture?
Um yeah, I had a real "Duh!" moment.  When putting the bench vice back together, I couldn't get the last bolt threaded.  Under inspection I noticed that I had foobar'd the threads by banging on it with a hammer during dis-assembly.  Don't do that!


So this story is TBD.  I tried to use a file, but gave up quickly.  I need to get this re-threaded at the local home center.  I wonder if Home Depot will do this?  They thread galvanized pipes after all, so I'll check.

The moral of the story:  Protect your threads, man!

UPDATE #1

I decided the best way is to grind off the (less than) 1/16" smashed end that is preventing the bolt from threading.  Unfortunately, I thought of this outside the workshop, so I'll fire up disc sander this weekend.  If it proves rough going, I'll switch to the grinder, using the side of the grinding wheel.
 
FINAL UPDATE




So now, finally, here is the after photo:








No comments:

Post a Comment