Thursday, January 5, 2012

Preamble

I was tempted to name this post "random thoughts and confusion leading up to starting my first blog" but I think preamble is better.

So 2 years ago I installed wordpress on my (now defunct) website tenfingercabinetry.com and created a blog about construction techniques.  And there it sat, neglected and empty.  My head was full of ideas, but I had too many questions about what to write, in what style and even why to write.  As every other woodworker, I can discuss the craft for endless hours to anyone showing the slightest interest. But I'm not sure that my conversational rambling style would work as a series of blog entries.  I also imagined my audience would be folks that want to read an experts opinion, whereas I prefer to explore topics and learn together with the readers.  In fact my belief is that the ultimate blog would be largely written by the audience of readers/commenters/fellow bloggers and my role is more of a facilitator.  OK, uh-huh, so...where do we start?

I took a good, hard look at all the blogs that I enjoy reading to see what makes them tick, perhaps gaining some motivation for writing along the way.  It seems most of them are very rich in photography.  Its the pictures that tell the story; ideally just seeing the picture is enough to tell the story (mostly).  So, I want to improve my writing I need to become a photographer.

Now, two years later I'm in the software biz and woodworking is back to my favorite hobby.  Yet I still cannot shake the nagging feeling to "start a blog."  So much so that my new years resolution for 2012 is just that (see my twitter account).  No, I haven't answered any of my questions above, but added a big question:  What is the topic I should write about??

Well, given my vague notion of starting a blog, its time to set off on this journey of discovery.  I have a lot to learn!


-Andy Warner
January 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment